What are the benefits of climate controlled storage?
You’ve probably heard of climate controlled storage, but you might be asking yourself, “Is this something I actually need? What does climate controlled storage do? Are the benefits really worth the additional cost?” As you weigh your decision between a standard unit and a climate-controlled unit, we’ve compiled a list of questions for you to consider.
At what temperature is climate controlled storage kept?
Here at Pleasant Grove Self Storage, we ensure our climate-controlled storage spaces stay above 50°F and below 80°F. This helps protect your items from extreme temperatures. Here in Roseville, we experience temperature fluctuations of over 100°F in the summer to around 20°F in the winter. Many items are sensitive and will warp, crack, or split when exposed to changing temperatures. If you don’t want your belongings enduring such extreme temperatures, we recommend a climate controlled unit.
What items do best in a climate controlled space?
If you are storing vehicles or boats, boxed items, household items, or anything typically kept in your garage, then a traditional storage unit will fit your needs. Read about our traditional storage units.
We recommend figuring out what you’ll be storing and sorting it into groups to keep similar items together. When you sort through your belongings, ask yourself the following questions:
- Will it grow mold or mildew? Not only will this ruin your belongings, but it can also cause severe health issues!
- Will it warp, crack, or become discolored from moisture? Read about how to protect your fine art before you store it!
- Is it sentimental, valuable, or rare? Here are some tips on organizing your keepsakes to get them ready for storage!
- Will heat cause it to expand or contract? Temperature negatively affects your wooden items.
- Is it supposed to be stored at a specific temperature to maintain its quality?
If you answered “yes” to any of the above questions, then a climate controlled storage unit is right for you. If you’re still uncertain, here are some items that benefit from a climate controlled space to preserve their longevity.
- Fine art and paint supplies
- Antiques and collectibles
- Musical instruments
- Vinyl records, CDs, DVDs, and microfilm
- Business records and other important documents
- Upholstered furniture, mattresses, bedding, and clothing
- Books, magazines, and photographs
- Wooden and leather furniture
- Family heirlooms
- Pharmaceutical products and medical equipment
- Bicycles with leather seats
- Clothing, purses, and accessories
Do I need to pay attention to air quality?
When considering a storage unit, it’s easy to downplay the importance of air quality. Standard storage units are sealed differently than climate controlled units. Climate controlled units continuously circulate air, which keeps the air clean and removes the need to open your storage unit to bring fresh air inside. Clean air is particularly important if you are storing electronics, art, or business documents.
What about dust and debris?
Since climate controlled storage units are kept inside buildings with insulated walls, roofs, and floors, these units are less vulnerable to dust, dirt, rodents, and insects. Your items will be protected from external elements, thus giving you peace of mind.
Is paying more for peace of mind worth it?
Our climate controlled units will keep you breathing easy knowing your items are protected from weather-related disasters and seasonal changes. The added cost is insignificant compared to the relief of knowing your belongings are protected.
On a less serious but still important note, a climate controlled unit will make your visits much more pleasant. Instead of shivering on cold days or sweating in the heat, you will enjoy a constant temperature all year round when you come to your storage unit. Doesn’t that make visiting and organizing your storage unit more appealing?
Is climate controlled storage right for you? Reserve your unit today by calling us at 916-772-1500. Call us with any questions or concerns at 916-772-1500, and we will help you figure out a solution that’s best for your business! Follow us on our Facebook page!